RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU Testing
RoHS is a CE marking Directive and if your product is within its scope then it must carry a CE marking and be referenced on an accompanying declaration of conformity.
RoHS applies to anything that is ‘EEE’ (electrical and electronic equipment). This means anything with any electric function. Even a gas mower with a piezo spark ignitor.
Electrical Product Compliance Testing
F2 Labs offers a full range of compliance testing services. We are fully equipped to test and approve a wide range of electrical products and equipment for organizational and governmental certifications, from battery chargers and lighting equipment to medical electrical equipment and wireless devices. Request a quote today!
The following categories are in its scope, per Annex I of the Directive:
- Large household appliances.
- Small household appliances.
- IT and telecommunications equipment.
- Consumer equipment.
- Lighting equipment.
- Electrical and electronic tools.
- Toys, leisure and sports equipment.
- Medical devices.
- Monitoring and control instruments including industrial monitoring and control instruments.
- Automatic dispensers.
- Other EEE not covered by any of the categories above. ← beginning July 22, 2019.
Any equipment in the above list must comply with the material restrictions indicated in Annex II:
- Lead (0,1 %)
- Mercury (0,1 %)
- Cadmium (0,01 %)
- Hexavalent chromium (0,1 %)
- Polybrominated biphenyls (PBB) (0,1 %)
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE) (0,1 %)
Annex II was amended by Directive (EU) 2015/863 and adds the following four material restrictions:
- Bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP) (0,1 %)
- Butyl benzyl phthalate (BBP) (0,1 %)
- Dibutyl phthalate (DBP) (0,1 %)
- Diisobutyl phthalate (DIBP) (0,1 %)
The original list of 6 are restricted now. The additional 4 will be restricted beginning on July 22, 2019.
What does this mean?
This means that if your product is in the scope of RoHS then every individual item (even paint, screws, plastic housings, and labels) must be independently compliant.
It also means that if your product is in scope and you place a CE marking on it you are claiming compliance to the RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU. Intended or not.
F2 Labs performs RoHS assessments for customers and we complete the evaluation to EN 50581:2012, terminating with a report that can be delivered to an EU customs official, should your product be stopped. In almost all cases this does not involve testing.