Automotive Transient Pulse Immunity Testing
Products used in vehicles have EMC requirements that include Transient Immunity test pulses. These pulses include 1, 2, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4, 5, and 6 for nearly all standards and vehicle manufacturer specification requirements. These transient pulses apply to and are required for, ensuring the compatibility of components and devices to conduct transient pulses installed on vehicles fitted with a 12 V or 24 V electrical system. F2 Labs can perform the testing required for these transient immunity test pulses.
Below are the definitions of each pulse.
- Transient Immunity test pulse 1 is a simulation of transients due to supply disconnection from inductive loads.
- Transient Immunity test pulse 2a simulates transients due to sudden interruption of currents in a device connected in parallel with the DUT due to the inductance of the wiring harness.
- Transient Immunity test pulse 2b simulates transients from d.c. motors acting as generators after the ignition is switched off.
- Transient Immunity test pulses 3a and 3b are a simulation of transients that occur as a result of the switching processes. The characteristics of these transients are influenced by distributed capacitance and inductance of the wiring harness.
- Transient Immunity test pulse 4 simulates supply voltage reduction caused by energizing the starter-motor circuits of internal combustion engines, excluding spikes associated with starting.
- Transient Immunity test pulses 5a and 5b is a simulation of load dump transient, occurring in the event of a discharged battery being disconnected while the alternator is generating charging current and with other loads remaining on the alternator circuit at this moment; the load dump amplitude depends on the alternator speed and the level of the alternator field excitation at the moment the battery is disconnected.
- Transient Immunity test pulse 6: Ignition coil interruption.
A list of some of the standards requiring these transient test pulses for products used in vehicles are listed here:
- DaimlerChrysler PF-10540
- Audi (Reference vehicles)
- BMW GS 95024-2-1(2010-01)
- Chrysler CS-11809(2009)
- Chrysler CS-11979
- Chrysler DC-11224 Rev.A
- Claas CN 05 0215
- DaimlerChrysler DC-10614
- BMW GS 95002(2001)
- ISO 7637-2
- ISO 7637
- EN 301 489-1
- EN 301 489-17
Contact F2 Labs for a quote today online or call 877-405-1580.